View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 96 3dr NG900 - aka Yoshi - track/fun car turned daily beater 

Post 96 3dr NG900 - aka Yoshi - track/fun car turned daily beater
Never made a thread on this car and I guess it deserves one.

It has served me very well as a daily driver and I enjoy pushing it. Even pulled off a 3rd place finish in a rallycross against modified Subaru's and such.

I bought this car a long time back as one of my first projects (blown engine). Like most of my projects it sat a long time.

Gytre, caboose, and I got really motivated; swapped the drivetrain (manual/5 speed conversion) and got the car running in one weekend out at caboose's uncle's garage with lift out in Union. That was all years ago.

Need to find and post photos from that...

Parts came from:

A green 94 900 5spd Nordic stg3 that had a mismatched green door from going of road and smashing lower rocker. Car was previously from an enthusiast and Saabnet member from Montana. The engine had been gone over (still solid today) and gearbox had some syncros and gears replaced. Picked it up in Kansas as a parts car. Also where I scored my double 3 EVO wheels.

and

My flipped/totaled black 95 "Vig. wanna be" which I got in a trade from "boosted shoe" on TSL. The Viggen bumper didn't survive, but I still got to make use of the fmic, bov, custom 3" exhaust he had on it. Also the Bilstein HD's, Vogtland lowering springs, and stock sized Brembo rotors I w/ upgraded pads I had put on.

The idea was that it would be a fun second car that could see track use. Gytre had it for a while until I got it back since I needed a car. Also years ago now.

Engine: Stock 2.0 (with block heater baby!)
only 5w40 full synthetic- usually Valvoline with Napa Gold Filter (Wix), sometimes Lubro MOLY or Castrol w K&N, Bosch distance plus, or GM/Saab filter (no Mobile1; breaks down or Royal Purple; lifters didn't like it)

AC deleted - down to the little alloy lines routed around engine bay. NO going back

Transmission: stock cable-clutch 5 speed manual (CONVERTED from automatic), possibly Viggen clutch?, GenuineSaab short shifter
Saab/GM MTF 0063
need to put on upgraded/later shift linkage, have a used hydraulic setup sitting around (waiting for clutch to blow)

Turbo: stock Garret t25, aftermarket fmic with rigged piping and knock off HKS SSQV bov, full 3" custom exhaust to Magnaflow muffler. The sound of the last two items are part of where the nickname "Yoshi" comes from.

Software: T5 suite stage 3

Suspension: Bilstein HD's, Vogland lowering springs, GenuineSaab rear sway bar, one-off/custom prototype rear hatch brace from GenuineSaab's drag car
Not on yet - green poly control arm bushings, steering rack brace

Brakes: stock sized solid Brembo rotors
Have stock sized slotted front rotors withe EBC redstuff pads waiting to go on front and possibly Viggen setup for rear. Want to still be able to run 15" snow setup.

Lighting: No interior/overhead lights, no reverse lights (didn't wire after 5spd conversion), headlight adjusters broken to point down for HID's but using stock highbeams

Cosmetics/Exterior: stock, some rust patches, dings, and clear coat flaws, bad emblems, roof rack with STLSWEDESPEED.COM sticker
might put on rare optional/accessory rear spoiler and catalog kit side skirts

Interior: Had bad/cracked sand beige seats and sagging headliner. Put in black front seats, redid headliner in black (not in), and played with two-tone door panels; swapping pieces from beige and black panels. Never really finished this so interior is pretty stripped/gutted. Even drove around with just one seat for a while. Have nicer black leather seats to put in still but would really like manual velour/cloth for weight savings and grippier surface. Carbon fiber dash face overlay. All weather front floor mats.

Wheels: 15" 9-3 3 spokes w 195/60's for daily use, 4x 15" steelies with Dunlop Graspic snows for winter, 2x 15" v-6 mulitspokes with aggressive Firestone tread style snows for rallycross
previously on stock 16" 3 spoke "Vikings", 16" 7 spoke BBS dealer winter option wheels, and 17" ASA ar1's
missed out on a set of 16" BBS RK1's :cry: and looking for an alternative light-weight setup

Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:21 am

Post Re: 96 3dr NG900 - aka Yoshi - track/fun car turned daily be
Pictures:

Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:25 am

let me know when you're ready to sell her back ;) i may be looking into getting another car like this for a little fun car. Having a kid on the way soon though and since my aero got totaled out im missing the saabs

Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:00 am
Profile YIM

where was this little Swedish get together... really nice turn out of some older saabs.... anything else planned? looks like it would be worth the trip from Chicago (we have nothing up here)

Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:23 am

Posting reply in your events thread.

Since I'm here;

Yoshi has taken a lot of beating.

Got hit in the passenger side door/rear quarter panel by Trailblazer. Pulled out into main road/ oncoming traffic (me), so I dodged but she proceed to pull a u-turn into me! I know of a matching door and panel I could cut and re-install. Was also thinking custom body work/wide body and matte green paint.

Couple weeks later I hit a deer on a backroad. Minor damage to driver fender corner, smashed headlight/blinker/hood/front core support, and broke off peg on radiator. Pulled out the support, straightened fender, and installed front end parts which I had- even a green hood.

Just the other day I discovered that of hard driving has taken it's toll on the gt25. Tons of axial play (no radial). So looks like I'll finally be upgrading to a td04.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]