View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 For Sale: HP EliteBook Mobile Workstation 8530w - 15.4" 

Post For Sale: HP EliteBook Mobile Workstation 8530w - 15.4"
It's finally time... I've had this baby for 4 years now and she keeps on going. She's been more reliable than a tree-stump. Seriously... this thing is incredible.

Overview: 1920x1200 resolution and rock-solid durability.

Full specs
CPU: Core 2 Duo T9600 @ 2.8 GHz
Memory: 2 x 2 GB = 4 GB DDR2 800 in dual channel
GPU: NVidia Quadro FX770m w/ 512 MB dedicated RAM (32 cuda cores)
Screen: 15.4" @ 1920x1200 LCD with matte finish (anti-glare)
HDD: Western Digital 320 GB 7200 RPM
Battery: aftermarket 8-cell battery purchased early April '13 yields ~2.5 hours in Linux (estimated 3 to 3.5 hours in Windows 8 or 7)
Misc: wireless N-draft 2.0, webcam, bluetooth, HDMI, eSATA, HP's 3D DriveGuard (protects hard drive from pre-mature failure, ask if you're really curious), 6.5 lbs

I can not say enough AWESOME things about this laptop. It has been the perfect machine for me for four years and I see NO issues with you getting another 4 years of life out of it. I love it so much, I'm only selling it so that I can buy the newer version.

I haven't tried playing any new games - I know it will play Oblivion at near max settings.

I often run a Windows 7 virtual machine and dedicate 1 CPU core and 2 GB of RAM and it doesn't slow my Ubuntu host down in the least. The Windows guest feels slower than a native OS but only marginally.

The only down sides: it is a Core 2 Duo running at 2.8 GHz with a powerful video card so, naturally, it runs a bit warm but has never "over-heated" to the point of shutting itself off. It's heavier than I'd like a laptop to be at 6.5 lbs (I'm replacing it with the 14" version), but its strength-and-durability to weight ratio is through the roof.

I am only selling because I am ready to upgrade to the Core i series of CPUs. There is nothing wrong with the machine at all - if you find a problem, I'll happily give you your money back.

It will be available starting May 20.

Geoff wrote:
I've been waiting since I first saw the NG900 in 1993 to sing:
DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD!!

Sat May 11, 2013 1:01 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: For Sale: HP EliteBook Mobile Workstation 8530w - 15.4"
It's also worth noting, the lid & screen (and therefore the hinges) are only 2 years old. I thought there was a problem with the LCD (there wasn't) and HP replaced the whole lid. The fan was also mistakenly replaced. Nothing on this laptop has ever broken - including the original 160 GB HDD which is currently running in an external case.

Geoff wrote:

Sat May 11, 2013 1:04 am
Profile WWW

One important piece of information you may want to include is your asking price lol
I'm not needing it, but thought it may help you sell it. :)

2003 9-3 SS Linear, Koni/Vogtland Suspension, strut brace, 3pt subframe brace, short shifter, complete 3" JT exhaust (now 1 muff), BSR Optiflow intake, High flow fuel injectors (big T), Stage 3 JZW tune, Stage 2 clutch, lightweight flywheel :)

Sat May 11, 2013 9:11 am

lmao! I feel like a sliiiight idiot now. I was asking $300. But, no matter. It's already sold. That went quick!!!

If anyone else liked my post and still wants one, there are lots more available on eBay if you just search "8530w". Cheaper too (I was charging more because I know it's in such good condition still).

Geoff wrote:

Sat May 11, 2013 12:44 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]